Considerations about massive brain drain from Albania and strategies attracting high-qualified scientists
The report drawn up by Professor Dr. Myqerem Tafaj is addressed to the problem of brain drain in Albania.As underlined by the author the brain drain in Albania is becoming massive. The main reasons are not only of economic nature but the political instability of the country and the strong influence of the politicians on the institutions of education and science.In the Dr. Tafajös opinion, all political groups in Albania should primarily announce and support a national program aimed at encouragement of the development of human capacities in the education and research system which could soften the effects of brain drain. This requires the politicians to give up the political dictation upon institutions of the system on all levels.Institutional attractiveness is a cornerstone for attracting young specialists. Therefore the implementation of a consequent institutional reform is necessary. The main objective must be the integration of higher education and scientific research on all levels making establishment of the Albanian Science System with universities as a focal point possible.
The concrete actions to be undertaken against brain drain are:
- adoption and implementation of the transparent recruitment policies in science and education with the priority given to the top scientists with PhD degree from Western universities
- attracting young talented scientists through MSc and PhD grants
- reform of the payment system and increase of the fee of the scientists
- *encouraging programs intended for extensive international and regional cooperation
- cooperation with the top Albanian scientists who emigrated and are working in the education and research field.